Program Outline and Goals
The aim of the program is to gain knowledge of historic architecture’s formal genesis, in its components more structured, in order to understand, interpret and act in the contemporary city. The key concept is the continuity that the organic growth of a place implies: learning from existing condition means to prevent the fragmentation of urban development subjected to individualisms and private interests.
This Summer School aims to provide students, by several means of investigations (including the sensory), the ability to recognize a historic building by multi-level reading, in order to define both an “architecture’s identity card” and a way “to give a new life” to the spaces.
The workshop will focus mainly on five specific topics:
1. History of architecture of the places and the relation between urban settlements and socio-economical milieu;
2. Free hand drawing and drafting of architecture “en plein air”, as a very important means to understand deeply the template of each architectural object;
3. Geometric and architectural survey: documentation and registration of the past and comprehension of the relation between space and time perception;
4. Representation of the generating idea of an architectural object as a means to understand the whole structure or part of it;
5. Restoration proposal and basic project for re-use of ancient buildings.
- Dr. Arch. Melissa Di Giovanni, freelance historian
- Prof. Inna Zayats, State University of S. Petersburg, specialized in Restoration and Preservation of Historical Heritage
- Dr. Arch. Melissa Di Giovanni, freelance historian (Italy)
- Prof. Inna Zayats, State University of S. Petersburg (Russia)
- Domenico Maria del Bello, art historian (Italy)
- Gabriele d’Oltremare, sketch master and interior designer (Italy)
- Dr. Arch. Marco Di Nallo, School of Architecture of Mendrisio (Swiss)
- Guest lecturers:
President of MusAA Prof. Paola Ardizzola, Antalya International University (Turkey)
Prof. Romolo Continenza, University of L’Aquila (Italy)
Students or Graduates with background education in Architecture, Civil Engineering, History of Architecture, Urban Design and Landscape Architecture, Urban Studies.
From July 20 to August 10, 2014
Abruzzo Region, Italy
1. District of Chieti: Lanciano, Fossacesia, San Vito Chietino
2. District of L’Aquila: Castelvecchio Calvisio, Calascio and Rocca Calascio, Bominaco, Santo Stefano di Sessanio
Final application deadline is 31 May 2014.
Download the full program and complete the application form and send it to